Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Chalk Paint Pros and Cons

I had a big post all typed out listing the pros and cons, in my opinion, of Annie Sloan’s chalk paint, but then I realized I might be acting too quickly to lay it all out on the line when in fact I have only used two of the products one time.  So in fairness, I have decided to save the entire list for another time and share with everyone my first reaction.

The PROs:

The WAX.   I must admit that I am in love the AS clear wax.  It was easy to apply and easy to rub off, but the real WOW factor was in the finish, smooth and creamy like butter.  This step alone will make you look as if you were a professional at restoring furniture!

The COLORS:   While there isn’t a large selection of colors to choose from, the ones that are available couldn’t be more lovely.   In fact,  I have an idea for selecting the perfect color for a piece of furniture prior to ever picking up a paint brush.  I will be sharing my idea soon.

The CONS:

No PRIMING?  I’m not so sure on that!  I was very disappointed when it took 3 coats of paint to cover over my chest of drawers and I can still see spots (not sure if they are water spots or what??) peaking through my paint.  Ugh!

Chalk-Paint-needs-primer

{I tried to trace just outside the discoloration}

The spots are not super noticeable via this photograph but it’s there and I notice it!  Also it angers me that I went against my better judgment and didn’t prime first.

The BRUSH STOKES.    This could be partly my fault.  A number of facts could have played a part in why I had brush stokes,  using a brush instead of spraying the paint on, weather was too warm and humid, the paint appeared too thick but I did not want to alter it for my first use, and I could have applied the second coat before the first coat dried.  

I found that if I used a fine sanding sponge between coats I could levitate the noticeable brush strokes, but doing so left me with a chalk dust everywhere! 

So there you go, my opinion, for what it’s worth?!?!?  I have another color that I purchased at the same time as the Old White and hope to find the perfect piece to try AS Chalk Paint one more time before I decide yay or nay.

Carrie

20 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! I've seen so many people raving about chalk paint, AS in particular, its nice to see another perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. Everything I've read about this paint has sounded like an advertisement for the product. I appreciate what seems to be a more realistic review.
    Even with your cons, I still want to try some chalk paint, but knowing what you had problems with will help me to have a more positive result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carrie, Thanks for the review and I have heard similar complaints. Next time try my homemade chalk paint formula that I recently posted.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you did this post. I just cannot make myself pay this for paint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. I have been wanting to try chalk paint but haven't gotten around to it. I might try sherry's tips on making my own rather than splurging for the ASCP version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree Carrie. I def think there are times when priming is in order. It also takes more than one coat no matter what you are painting. And brush strokes is also a problem for me. The pluses do outweigh the minuses though, in my opinion. The finish is the only way to get the look of old. Any other paint technique is time consuming and doesn't give the same effect. Looking forward to hearing your idea on the right paint for the right piece!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post, thank for sharing, Carrie! XO ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe this is why I haven't purchased any of this paint. I know everyone is raving about it. But I've just been a little afraid of it. Thanks for being honest.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this post, Carrie. I look forward to hearing more about your thoughts on this.

    have a great day~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see what you are saying Carrie...When I did our bedroom furniture, I actually cheated and rolled a lot of it, even though it was not recommended. Then for me to avoid missed spots after I waxed it, I just heavily distressed it in those spots. I just used the very last of my cans...if I get it for free I will use it, if not, I am not coughing out the cash...lots of good paint and good color choices. Annie got her run out of me for now. Again, if I get it for free, I will paint away:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for keepin' it real, lady! I would try it if I could find AS paint in Ontario....but so far no luck. I always wondered about the "no priming" thing...sounds like I wasn't too far off in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Carrie,

    I have plans to drive to Kingston (about 3 hours drive) to pick up the paint this weekend for a big bed I'm working on....and now I'm wondering if it's worth the trip or the money! Ummmm....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with your opinions 100%! Glad to know it's not just me. :) ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the review on chalk paint. I have it and will finish using it but probably not buy it again. Love the wax and the way it looks finished but I don't like the brush stroke marks and can't seem to get rid of them. I can do without the cost also!
    Marianne :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Carrie! Chalk Paint is so odd it seems. I really like it and have only used the Olde White and a blue. The blue covered up in two coats and the white took me three. I am the opposite, I really like the paint it is the wax that I have the most trouble with, I am not too sure about it yet and have to play around with it some more.
    I would also like to try the milk paint and see how that compares.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting about the chalk paint...good to know. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Carrie! Oh, I'm so glad you popped in to see me and read a little bit of my silliness! You can snap for me just any ole time!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;0

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Honestly I can't even notice the spots and if I can't notice the spots then nobody else is going too.

    lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed your visit. If you did, please leave a comment!!!
Thanks ~Carrie

*and remember what mom always said~ "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say NOTHING at all".

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails