Wednesday, July 27, 2011

DIY Chaise Lounge Chairs!

I have had this Lowe’s magazine in my idea file box for years.  There are several great projects in there but the best project of them all has to be this Outdoor Chaise Lounge

Outdoor Chaise Lounge

I always thought I would ask my dad to make a few of them for me, but he’s always so busy. Plus he really doesn’t build furniture anymore.  He specializes in hand-turned bowls like this

image

If you remember, we had an awful storm back in May.  While helping my parents clean up the dozen or so trees that came crashing down, I realized that they still had all their old deck boards.  A few years back my parents replaced their pressure treated deck with the new composite boards.  See a glimpse of their new composite deck.

Wooden  Elm Bowl

 

Here’s my big dilemma…….

The deck boards were laying in the spot that I got all the Poison Oak from!!  So I did what any resourceful mother would do….. I bribed the kids to go pull them out and bring them up by the workshop.  What?  You telling me you wouldn’t have done the same?

cl-#4

So I got my FREE-TO-ME deck boards but they had a lot screws left in them.  I spent the better part of a weekend working around the screws and bad spots to cut all the different lengths. 

Weekend #2, #3, and #4- Working on assembling ONE chaise lounge.  Some of the boards were a little twisted and tweaked, to put it mildly. 

The second chaise lounge went together in a couple of days!

cl-#1

My father even had the wheels! 

chaise-lounge-wheels

Overall I did probably 97% of the work!  I’m more than proud of myself and even mention to my dad that Martha won’t be kicking my A$$ this weekend.  ha ha! (a little humor between the two of us)

Stained-lounge

I was hoping to show you them all finished in a beautiful SW stain but (and here is your warning)  never try to stain anything when the temperature is 110 on the heat index!  My stain got super thick and icky.  I broke two foam brushes trying to apply the thick stick stain before waving my surrender flag.  I have way too many things to do this week, so the staining will have to wait until I get back from nationals.

So between recycling my parents old deck, barrowing some wheels that he would probably never use, taking over half of his workshop, and leaving out all the tools that I used for over a month, the whole project only cost me less than $50 for TWO Chaise Lounges and a month of weekends!!  Not bad.

I’ve been checking around on the internet for cushions…. holy moly…… Pottery Barn has them on sale for $125 each!  Maybe they’ll be marked down more at the end of summer?  Fingers crossed

Carrie

26 comments:

  1. Carrie that's phenomenal! You're like superwoman with a power saw! lol. They look absolutely fantastic!! Can't wait to see them stained!! Wow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU GO GIRL!! I love what you did...and think that the idea is awesome. You are so resourceful and creative...I always love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your chaise lounges. How great are they. You should be so proud. Great job. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. WONDERFUL!! Thanks for the inspiration...another one of those things to put on my projects list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a DIY Rock Star! Amazing job once again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty thing that...and how beautifully you generated the idea and started building it together to make the wonderful piece...great job.Cabinetry Ventura

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look amazing! Great job!
    afabulesshome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You seriously impress! ^^DIY Rock Star is right!! I sincerely thought you were showing us pictures from Lowes...lol...they look amazing, even without the stain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy moly girl you ROCK!!! That is beautiful and so great that they only cost $50, those things are expensive through the stores! Very well done my friend!! Sorry about the poison Ivy though.
    Good luck with every thing that is going on and nationals!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Amazing job on those chaise lounges! They're so beautiful! Can't wait to see them stained. Thanks for sharing.

    And I totally would have sent the 14yo into the Poison Oak.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sent Martha an email and she is sooooooo jealous!
    It's a fabulous chair, and the fact that you did all the work is amazing.
    Happy Weekend... go lounge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This is awesome!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so impressed by those lounge chairs! And I'm betting that you will give in and sew your own cushions too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am super jealous, those are amazing!!! I want to be you when I grow up :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are great! Did you find cushions?

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's confirmed. I'm getting Chris to make me these next Summer. It never occurred to me that you could make your own chaise! Brilliant! So brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  17. pinned this! awesome! where can I get the plans?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kata~ I shared the plans that I used from Lowe's here:
    http://dittledattle.blogspot.com/2011/08/if-only-i-had-pool.html

    but Design Confidential also has a great plan for the chaise lounges here:
    http://www.thedesignconfidential.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great blogger and nice information on chaise lounges... Thanks for sharing the information on modern furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carrie,
    Thanks for posting the pics of your chaise lounges. I had some leftover lumber from a deck that we had built and was looking for a nice design for chaise lounges for our weekend house. I studied your pictures and built 2 that are very similar. The only bad news is that my wife liked them so much, she wants me to build 2 more :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love what you did i tried to find the plans for this chaise but could not. Could you please tellme where to find it? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Carrie, you did an amazing job with this! I followed the link you provided for the plans, but it takes me to a page that shows the cover and the last couple of steps and it's hard to read. I really would like to get my hands on a copy of this; I've even searched for "Lowe's Creative Ideas for Woodworkers Spring/Summer 2010" with no luck. I'm so disappointed because my husband is ready to make a chaise for our deck and this is by far my favorite. I would greatly appreciate your help!

    ReplyDelete
  23. For all those looking for the project plans check out this link: http://www.lowes.com/cd_Sun+Chair_1272392683_

    If you can't reach it from the link go to Lowes.com and type in "Sun Chair" in seach and it should take you right there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed your visit. If you did, please leave a comment!!!
Thanks ~Carrie

*and remember what mom always said~ "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say NOTHING at all".

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails