Thursday, April 28, 2011

Ottoman Slip Cover

I’ve been inspired by the many wonderful projects that I have been seeing using drop cloth material!  But the real icing on the cake had to be when I watched a wonderful series of videos by Miss Mustard Seed!!! Have you seen these videos? The whole time I watched the videos I thought of the sad lil’ chair that I have sitting in the corner of the living room in desperate need of a makeover.  Plus my living room is a bit dark and I would love to lighten and brighten it up for the summer months.

Okay….. So I thought to myself…. I’ve never worked with a drop cloth before and I have never made a slip cover before, maybe I should try something easy for my first project.  How ‘bout that disgusting (years of abuse by three kids and two dogs) ottoman that is crying out for help! 

Okay so the ottoman it is!

Drop-cloth-ottoman-slip-cover

I started by washing the drop cloth material as per Miss Mustard Seed and then on to the making the piping.  Miss Mustard Seed sews her piping with straight strips of material, but I covered my  piping on the bias using the largest cording that I could find at Wal-Mart. 

Box-Pleat-slip-cover

I started at the top of the ottoman and worked my way down to the bottom. 

Pinning… pinning… and more pinning. 

At the last moment, I decided to add a box pleated hem to the bottom.  Which left me short on material from my original calculation to complete the slip cover.  Don’t you just hate when that happens?

drop-cloth-slip-cover

I purchased another drop cloth only to find out that NOT all drop clothes are created equal!  Hello!  This was a news flash to me.   The second one, even though it was the same weight and dimensions as the first one I picked up, was heavier and darker in color.  Off to the store I go to purchase a third drop cloth which it turns out is lighter in weight and a smidge too dark in color.  Waving my white flag, I settled with the third drop cloth simply because I live about 30 minutes away from the nearest hardware store.  The darker of the third drop cloth I placed towards the back corner. So far no one has noticed.  (Well, my mother hasn’t been by to see the slip cover yet!  jk)  

_Clipcover-ottoman

The piping and the box pleat hem takes this project from looking like a beginner project to a custom ordered slip cover!  Don’t you just want to try to make one today?

Before-ottoman

I just realized that I probably should show you the ottoman without the slip cover.  Yes, my Dad made the box and the cute little bun feet and then I upholstered it.  The ottoman is tufted with  9 buttons on the top.

Now on to that chair…..

Carrie

28 comments:

  1. Super cute! I'm visiting from Katie's Nesting Spot and love your slipcover!

    Kristen
    Turning a House into a Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I had NO idea that all drop cloths were different! That would of drove me nuts! The ottoman looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You did a great job!
    I had no idea that drop cloths would be different. What a pain!
    Looks great!

    have a happy day~ LC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing Carrie! You did a great job! You have a lot more patience than me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ottoman looks very nice. Never thought of drop cloth, does it only come in light colors (cream tones)? I need to change the cushions of the chairs in our daily eating area (black on black) and haven't found the right fabric.
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd never guess this was your first drop cloth slipcovering project! It looks so professional! Love the box pleats! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had that problem before...I did not even notice it until it was too late....Love the ottoman!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally impressed with your work! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome job! I'm working on my own ottoman slip per Dear Lillie's instructions...but yours looks way better than mine is turning out. I'm making my own ruffles (what a job) and they are certainly less than perfect but I'm pretty excited at how it's turning out. Check out the sneak peek on mine I posted earlier this week. I'm also using drop cloths for the slipcover and a white sheet for the ruffle, plus hem tape to cover where they join. Hope to finish up and get posted early next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you mentioned that drop cloths are not created equal. I also leave about 25 minutes from a hardware store. Saved me some gas... thanks! The slipcover turned out great. Love the box pleat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a great job! You always do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your slipcover is beautiful! I just love the pleats! I use drop cloths for a variety of projects and have also found there is often a big difference from one package to another, even though I am buying same brand, size, etc. I guess that's just a little detail we have to deal with. But seriously, your project is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great!!! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is terrific! I have watched the video and hope to do the very same soon - Love your box pleat! Does make it look great,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome, Carrie !!! I'm super impressed with this. I so WISH I knew how to sew. MMS does have some incredible videos, doesn't she?! WELL done, friend .. love it !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a fabulous job, Carrie! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Who knew a drop cloth could look so great! I am a novice sewer gearing up to taking on a slip-covering project myself. It seems so intimidating but I am finding lots of inspiration from creative blogs like yours!

    Thanks for sharing! I will hopefully be able to do as good a job and share mine as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your slipcover, you did an awesome job! Thanks for sharing with us:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks fantastic!! Yes, I've seen MMS's videos, etc., but I'm still not brave enough to try a slipcover. You did a wonderful job!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  20. The pleats really give it the finished touch. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Carrie you did an amazing job! I love these!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this! The piping and pleats really do make it look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it! great job of taking something old and used to something fresh and pretty. Great job1
    Kim:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Carrie, I love the ottoman. It reminds me of a piece that was at our last photo shoot.
    I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Carrie,

    What a lovely job on the ottoman...now you are ready for a chair ;->

    Go for it girl

    Janet xox
    http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed your visit. If you did, please leave a comment!!!
Thanks ~Carrie

*and remember what mom always said~ "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say NOTHING at all".

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails