Sunday, November 14, 2010

DIY Wooden Letters

Many of you wondered….. why in the world would I need to know how to create a multi-page printout!?!?! (click  to see how to print an image across multiple pages)

Well my friends, you’ll need to create a pattern if you want to make your very own Dillard’s inspired wooden letters. 

  • Select a font for your letter. {I used Adobe Hebrew}
  • Create a JPG file of your letter.  I used Photoshop. ***Tip:  Save on ink by just outlining the letter or use a light gray.
  • Print out your letter using www.blockposters.com. 

Multiple Page Letter Printout

  • Cut out the paper template.
  • Trace letter on a piece of wood.  I actually used a spray adhesive to stick the template on the wood.  

*I wanted my letters to stand up on their own and have some weight so I used a 2” thick piece of wood.  Because the letters were larger than one single piece of wood that I had on hand, I had to cut the pattern into 2 or 3 pieces. (see photo above for cuts and pieces)

DIY Wooden Letters

  • Cut the letter pieces out using a jigsaw or a band saw.
  • Sand edges and corners smooth and straight with a coarse sand paper.
  • Glue the pieces together with a good wood glue (like Gorilla Glue) and hold together with clamps.  Allow the glue to dry.

DIY Wood Letter cut outs

  • Scrap any dry glue that squished out of the seams.

Cutting Wooden letters

  • Optional:  Use a round-over router bit to finish the edges.
  • Finish sanding with 220 sand paper. 
  • Spackle any imperfections or knots.
  • Prime and paint.

I couldn’t help myself…. 

These were fairly easy to make so I made a few.

Ballard Wood letter Knock off

 Here’s one for my youngest son’s room painted in metallic silver.

(waiting to be hung up)

Ballard Inspired Wooden Letters

My oldest son’s initials painted in white.  The A is about 24” and the R is around 15”!  I wanted to distress these a bit and add a dry brush of black paint but my son disapproved.  He likes them a solid white.

DIY Letter cut outs

And one more for me to use as I wish.

I almost purchased a few of these from Ballard’s for $25.  I’m so glad I tried to make them myself because they cost me ZERO to make.  I had the left over wood from other projects (bed and frames), printed my own pattern instead of using Kinko’s, and used paint that I had on hand!

I hope you’ll try to make your own DIY wooden letters Thumbs up

So many ideas you could do with these letters.  How about “JOY” for the holidays?  Not to mention the numerous ways you could paint them!!!

Carrie

 

45 comments:

  1. Those are so cute and what a great way to cut them out! Love the metallic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so cool!!! The letters are amazing. Guess I need to learn how to use other power tools than the sander!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie they turned out just fabulous. Love them painted silver. Snazzy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those do look super cute.. and I've love to make some for my little ones bday.. You've given me a fabulous idea!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those turned out wonderful!! I LOVE the Metallic! Great job, Carrie! =)

    Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my recent blog post! *smile*

    ((HUGS)) ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job Carrie....they look great displayed too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those turned out great! I love the metallic one. Great job.
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! My daughter makes oversize 3 D letters from priority mail boxes, but none this big. Gotta try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, these are great Carrie. I envy you. Are you interested in guest posting?

    http://www.todays-woman.net/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are awesomesauce.. really!! Will you make me some and mail them to me?? Hehehe.. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job!!!! I especially like the router edges... wish I had one of those!!! Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic job!!!! I love it ..did a similar diy today

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so inpressed! Well done. They look great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have recently started collecting initial letters. I love them.

    Visiting from Topsy Turvy

    ~Makalani
    Maka'z Home

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing-very creative and inspiring-love the monogram!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love them. What a great idea. I like that you used big sturdy wood so they could be freestanding.

    I'm also a fan of the metallic silver. Way to pop.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carrie this is fantastic! I love your blog! Thanks for linking! I'll be featuring this on BCD tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I guess I need a saw now. These are just too dang cute. Easy, you say? Hmmm . . . I have seen an add by Dremel for a new tool that cuts, sands and something else. Oh, Santa . . .

    Would love for you to join us this weekend at Passion for Paint!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are beautiful! I have been looking for an "E" in my local thrift stores for a long time now. Now I can make my own instead. Thanks so much for the "how to" info.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is just what I was looking for. Thanks so much for letting us know about the web site. Makes it so much easier to make the really big letter and numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it. Question: what font did you use for you letters? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Carrie, I'm linking over from Tatertots and Jello. What an impressive project. LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the A & the R. So impressed. (When I try to cut wood, it is often crooked.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful! I've been looking for a way to get a project like this out of my head and into reality. Thanks for the great tute! I hope mine turn out as awesome as yours : )

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the H- the metallic finish is really great- what paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I did three coats of Rust-Oleum "Chrome" spray paint.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just found your blog! SQUEAL!!! I have only seen two post and I think I just may love you! Watch out jig saw, here I come!
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great Ideas! I'm your newest follower. What font did you use?
    Cheers!
    Rita @MAY DAYS

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have to say the same thing for this monogram project~ I love it! The silver especially. I SO want to make it, but I need a jigsaw for it! Like your wreath I'll be featuring this next week! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi
    Just wanted to let you know that I “ Featured” you on Santa’s Gift Shoppe Blog Hop today for your great project & inspiration! Be sure to grab the “I was featured” on Santa’s Gift Shoppe Button/Code for your sidebar! You deserve it! Thanks so much..If you’re not a follower already we’d love for you to join us...
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  31. Carrie, I have a 2 patterns printed out that I have been wanting to get to for about 8 months and there is always something else that needs done. These are awesome.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  32. You will be our FEATURED BLOGGER this week at www.thediyclub.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my goooooodness.... Those are just wonderful! I'm so impressed.

    Warm blessings,
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi! Just discovered your website because I've been thinking about getting the Ballards letters. What font did you use for your H? Awesome Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. These look amazing! I've been on the hunt for some wooden letters that are thick. I'm going to find the font I want, then tell DH who can print it off at work with a plotter to get the size I need. Thanks so much! I have so many ideas for this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  36. love it! it's amazing, if you use coreldraw you'll have the option to print it on multy page
    thanx again
    Sigal
    Israel

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi! I just stumbled onto your blog. We just recently purchased a new home, and I love the idea of doing monogram projects to personalize the space. Could you give a little more help on how to actually turn the letter into a jpeg (I don't have photoshop)? Does it need to be a certain size in word first?
    Thanks! Love your site!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. One of my favorite things - initials. And a roundover bit - good to know (like I'm going to jump right out there and use one). And the different sizes look great displayed on that revamped bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love these! I have seen them in a couple peoples homes and I want one for my family room. Luckily my last name starts with an O so I wonder if I could just use a wood circle cutter. I love the metallic look you did to the one, it's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi. I just wanted to let you know I've used your tutorial twice now. Once for my baby girl's nursery and I just made one for my dad for his birthday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks!! What a terrific idea. I linked this up on my blog today: http://www.vixenmade.com/2013/05/diy-boys-room-decor.html

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi
    Nice one! I like the outfit of the characters. Wish i could do the same thing too but im not that techie.i like the outfit of “from farmer to warden”.. really interestingdave burke

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed your visit. If you did, please leave a comment!!!
Thanks ~Carrie

*and remember what mom always said~ "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say NOTHING at all".

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails