Sunday, June 6, 2010

Patriotic Boys Lamp

I’m still making my way through several projects for my youngest son’s bedroom.  Without really realizing it I have given his room a  patriotic theme.   Because of the time of year, it’s made it easy to shop for accessories for his room!!!

IMG_3085

{The Before}

$3.00 lamp from Goodwill

Doesn’t it look like the shade is trying to swallow the base?

IMG_2748

IMG_2753

 

{The Base}

Painted with Krylon Fusion Red.  I had originally spray painted the metal base silver but opted to paint it completely red.  Still using the same can of red spray paint I used on the fan!  This paint covers so well.  Definitely worth the money.

Added some extra weight to the bottom. {left over from another lamp redo}   Very easy to do by unscrewing the nut off the bottom.

IMG_2872

I spotted this cool sticky backed felt in  Wal-Mart and knew it would work perfectly to cover all the nasty!  and secondly it would prevent the lamp from scratching the faux stained treatment!!!! 

IMG_3067

While I hade the base apart, I added a little extra height by cutting a piece of PVC pipe {a product used for plumbing}, spray painted it silver, and slipped it over the lamp rod!

IMG_3023

{The Shade}  

Nothing is easy as you want it to be…..

I had a hard time finding a shade that I liked.  I ended up finding this shade at Target.  I wanted white….you would think that would be an easy find….I had to settle for cream.  The shape didn’t make it easy to cover either.  Because it tapper at the top, you simply couldn’t run ribbon around the center and glue. 

Here’s what I did: 

  • Loosely measure around the lamp’s middle.
  • Cut a 2” band of blue fabric.
  • Sew red ribbon on top of the blue fabric ban.
  • Pinned ban around the shade wrong side up. Pinned the excess material at the corners.
  • Sew the corners and trim off excess material.

IMG_2859

Here’s the ban sewn and trimmed. 

IMG_2863 

Turn the ban right-side out and slip over shade.  Add a dab of hot glue to secure.

IMG_2869

I originally had three little red stars but as you can see in the “After” photo, I changed it to one large star in front for a bigger impact!

IMG_3021

{The After}

IMG_3090

Linking to these parties:

 

You light up my days,

Carrie

21 comments:

  1. It is amazing what a little spray paint can do. I love how you dressed up the shade. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great job, it looks brand new!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow carrie! that is a great makeover! i recently re-did a lamp on my blog, for a little girl
    (if you're curious, it is here http://imadeitso.com/2010/04/27/re-covering-an-old-lamp-shade/)

    it's amazing what a bit of paint can do. the star is a nice touch! great red colour too.

    ~ana

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow carrie! that is a great makeover! i recently re-did a lamp on my blog, for a little girl
    (if you're curious, it is here http://imadeitso.com/2010/04/27/re-covering-an-old-lamp-shade/)

    it's amazing what a bit of paint can do. the star is a nice touch! great red colour too.

    ~ana

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh woops, sorry for the double post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks awesome! You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carrie....looks awesome! Very professional looking and so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fabulous! I love the big star!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carrie, Thanks for stopping by The Painted Home, so glad i found your blog...I love it. As for the vanities, i just used KILZ primer and let it set for a day, then regular Ben Moore Satin paint for top coat. no poly needed. really simple project, good luck if you try it, send me pics! :) Denise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carrie this is adorable! I love RED and STARS! You are talented sweet friend. I also did a lamp post today for MM.

    I'm adding you to my blogroll! Your blog is so cute and inspiring.

    Blessings, ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh My Carrie! FAB. U. LOUS! I so love the ribbon and stars that you did. This would look great in my son's room - thanks for the inspiration. Now I'm off to copy! *wink*

    Jen @ Noting Grace

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! So simple but so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pillow post which you removed was great - the pillows looked fabulous (professional even).

    I like your pillow with the band between the stars and think it was definitely worth the effort you put into it.

    I thought I would share the star pillows I found though - in case you want them for future reference:

    http://sewastraightline.blogspot.com/search/label/star%20pattern%20ideas

    I think I like yours better though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI Carrie, we know Chester....in fact we have an old rustic huge sign over our entertainment center from their national park....beautiful area out there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that lamp! Looks wonderful.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is darling and going on my favs list. I need your old lamp shade for my lamp from goodwill, they had one on so small it was hilaqrious and I haven't found what I want for it yet.


    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nicely done project! Thanks for sharing it on Modern Craftswoman Monday! Rory

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful idea for a festive lamp! I love fourth of July projects and it seems like you do too! :)

    My name is Caitlin and I'm one of the editors at favecrafts.com.

    I though you might be interested in some of our fourth of July projects.

    This pillow is one of my favorites, but we have many others:

    http://www.favecrafts.com/Cross-Stitch/Boom-Boom-Patriotic-Pillow-From-Kreinik

    Thanks and have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed your visit. If you did, please leave a comment!!!
Thanks ~Carrie

*and remember what mom always said~ "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say NOTHING at all".

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails